Pages

Calamity Jennye




Thursday, June 2, 2011

Just an update

I feel like a very delinquent blogger of late, my apologies to all of you.
It turns out breaking an ankle is a very exhausting endeavor.
I was able to work half a day on Tuesday before I came home and completely crashed for a three hour nap. I worked half a day Wednesday, survived without a nap and headed off to the doctor.
The good news there, was that I actually only broke one bone. It is that little one on the inside of your ankle. There is a part of that bone that hangs down a little bit and it is broken clean through.
Somehow, miraculously it has managed to stay in the perfect position. I can tell that this is a feat because they keep taking x rays to make sure it is in the same spot and every time even the doctor congratulates me.
As long as I keep all weight off of my foot for the next three weeks. I should be able to spend the three weeks after that re-learning how to walk on it.

Seems like a very appropriate plan. There are so many things to re-learn in life right now I might as well go back to the basics and learn how to walk again as well.

I think life is still moving forward, despite the fact that the view from the couch doesn't change as much as one would wish. I'm meeting with my husband to begin the distribution of properties on Saturday. I'm working to figure out possibly getting my things moved on Sunday...then I'm going to take it slow and try to get my things settled in over the next week. By then I'll be two weeks into the no weight-bearing period, should have begun figuring out how to do more things for myself and most importantly. Boy - oh - boy will I be ready to be in my own place.

I have had a number of sad thoughts in the past week over this whole injury. My husband has shown absolutely no interest in how my injury happened...how or when I will recover. I knew this would be the case. I expected no different but it's still hard. Hard to sit in the ER and realize that the person who pledged to care about you more than anyone else, for the rest of your life would not show up even if you asked him. To get up the courage to share with that person and have them begrudgingly say "well, sorry about your foot, I guess" but nothing else.  To be stuck at the clinic seeking a ride (because you can't drive), know that this person who had been so important to you for so long, knows this is your situation and doesn't bat an eyelash.

When you add them all together the moments do have a weight almost as crushing as that tree...I guess the main thing here is just to keep these moments from leaving the same kind of mark. No sense in breaking anything more than you absolutely have to.

1 comment:

  1. "No sense in breaking anything more than you absolutely have to"

    If only the tree...your husband...the universe were on board!

    Keep your head up (and your ankle, I suppose!)
    ME

    ReplyDelete