Pages

Calamity Jennye




Tuesday, February 15, 2011

How I Accidentally Moved to Stars Hollow

No seriously…I accidentally moved to Stars Hollow. I’ve been a Gilmore Girls addict for as long as I can remember. I missed out on the original run of the show but I own all the DVDs. I am even unembarrassed to say that my daughter was addicted by the age of two. I nursed her to sleep almost every night of her infant life with the Gilmore Girls on in the background. It was my falling asleep show. It didn’t take long before she figured out I would drop anything and cuddle on the couch with her if she just asked to watch “The Girls”.

So anyway…We just moved to this little town last May. We’ve vacationed here practically once a year (often more) for the last 8 or 9 years. I’ve never lived in a town this small. I’ve been a big city girl most of my adult life. I grew up in a small town of 15,000. That might as well be a city compared to this hamlet of 1,412. Smaller than my high school and about the same size as my college, which tells you a lot actually.

News spreads here about as fast as it did in college, everybody is equally in involved in everybody else’s business
(i.e. my best friend and I just walked past this guy the other day, right after discussing my husband’s inability to even be civil to her these days, and she said: “see I can even say hi to that guy and he tried to strangle his wife in the shower last week”).
This level of involvement in every detail of everyone else’s life means people take care of each other. Bet you didn’t see that one coming huh?

I offhandedly said to a co-worker “I had no idea I was moving to the middle of nowhere so my marriage could fall apart.” Her very astute response was that I couldn’t have gone anywhere better. And she’s right.

I’ve been offered support, encouragement and friendship by so many in such a short time. Last night I stopped at the local coffee shop with a friend (something I’ve literally only done 3 times since I moved to town). I happened to meet the owner. It came out in a rather random way what was going on in my life. Her immediate response was: “Well I will find you and your daughter a place to live, this is what I do, I’ll find it for you. Trust me”

And I did. Where else would this happen and how did I get lucky enough to get dropped in this place at just the right time? My coffee godmother came up with three suggestions before I left the shop and called me with one more today.

It’s going to be okay!

As I’m in the market for not just a new place to live but also a new job I figure it’s about time I find an inn to run or something right? And if only I had a Luke’s to cook me unlimited close to free food.

But the thing I forgot to tell you is about the flags. Not long after moving here I suspected that I had landed in Stars Hollow and it was totally confirmed the day I went to cross the street (one block west of the one stop light). They had posted these signs and cups full of little orange flags on either side of the street. The signs said “to increase your safety please take a flag before crossing the street.” I almost fell over, I’m not even exaggerating. The only thing I could think was that I was sad I had missed the town meeting (you know there must have been one) where they had decided this was a good idea, probably not though because it must have been Taylor's idea, little orange flags to cross the street it just reeks of Taylor.

This is my Stars Hollow, now I guess I just need a Luke…or Christopher…or Max, you know eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment